Carolina Asia Center Visiting Scholars
Carolina Asia Center Visiting Scholars are mostly foreign nationals requiring a visa to travel to the USA as a visiting scholar. The CAC provides administrative support to obtain the visa, sets up the initial meeting with the faculty adviser and provides reporting for funding agencies as necessary. Although optional, the CAC also provides support to organize a lecture event for the Visiting Scholar to give a talk on his or her research to the academic community at UNC and the general public in the Chapel-Hill/Durham area.
The Carolina Asia Center offers the following resources to scholars:
- Access to UNC libraries
- Arrange meetings with Faculty Adviser
- UNC OneCard (University ID Card) that will allow the scholar to access facilities at UNC. Additional fees may apply for accessing certain facilities such as gyms
- UNC email address
- UNC internet access
- Ability to audit courses offered at UNC with instructors’ permission
- Access to all talks and seminars sponsored or cosponsored by the Carolina Asia Center (CAC)
- Opportunity to present the scholar’s work (optional) at UNC, for which the CAC will provide a venue at the FedEx Global Education Center building and will help advertise the event
- Library Carrel (not guaranteed – dependent upon demand)
The Carolina Asia Center cannot offer the following:
- Logistic support to find housing etc
- Transportation (although UNC provides bus services for free in certain areas)
- Office Space
Who Can Apply: In order to apply, you must be a mid- to senior- level professional with strong leadership skills, a scholar with a Ph.D., or a person with a teaching position at a university.
Fees: The CAC charges an administrative fee of $2,000 per semester (or six months) for all the services we provide.
The United States Government’s Minimum Requirement to Visit USA as a Visiting Scholar with J-1 Visa:
Sufficient Funding: The J-1 Exchange Visitor program at UNC requires a minimal funding of USD $2,000.00 per month. If you are planning to bring dependents, below is the additional amount required per dependent: 1) Spouse = USD $800.00 per month and 2) Child = USD $400.00 per month
Medical Insurance and Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance requirements:
J-1 scholars are required to have a medical coverage during their stay in the United States. Following is the minimum coverage requirements. This is required of every scholar who comes to the United States of America as a Visiting Scholar with J-1 visa:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
English Proficiency Requirement: The scholar must possess sufficient proficiency in the English language to successfully participate in the visiting scholar program and to function on a day-to-day basis in the United States, as determined by an objective measure of English language proficiency. Please consult these English language proficiency guidelines from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at UNC for a list of accepted documents.
HOW TO APPLY
We encourage our applicants to apply for the program at least six months in advance.Apply Now