Asia Scholar Network
The Asia Scholar Network exists to create a community of scholars working on Asia-related topics in North Carolina. (This has grown out of strong partnerships across the 16 UNC system campuses and the North Carolina Community College network, but welcomes participation from any scholar based in the state.) We provide scholars with opportunities to network, share information and collaborate. Ultimately, we also hope to improve access to resources for the study of Asia and spark collaboration in the field of Asian studies in the state of North Carolina.
Why Asia Scholars?
Institutions of higher education in North Carolina offer varied resources on Asia, ranging from content courses in individual departments to full degree programs with language and area studies instruction. Many universities also have active study abroad programs in Asia. With the growing importance of the region, the demand for Asia-related courses and the need to incorporate Asia-focused content into other disciplines is increasing. The Asia Scholar Network is an initiative of the Carolina Asia Center (CAC) at UNC-Chapel Hill that addresses these needs by providing a platform for Asia experts to share resources and strengthen Asia-related programs across all campuses in North Carolina.
The Carolina Asia Center supports the Asia Scholars Network with the following resources:
- Current database of Asia scholars in the state
- Email listserv for sharing Asia-related events and opportunities with Asia scholars
- Access to resources on Asia through UNC-Chapel Hill’s libraries
- Conferences and events on topics of interest to Asia scholars at UNC-Chapel Hill and other campuses
- We have announced a Call for Papers for our 2023 Asia Scholar Network Conference. Learn more here.
The Asia Scholar Network gathers annually for a conference at UNC-Chapel Hill. To see archives from past conferences, click the links below.
- 2020-21 – held as part of the Southeast Conference of the Association for Asian Studies
Who Can Join?
All scholars working on Asia-related topics or developing expertise in Asian studies, including language and area studies, at any university or community college campus in North Carolina are eligible to join the Asia Scholar Network. The universities in the UNC System include the following:
Contact: For more information, contact Associate Director of the Carolina Asia Center, Dr. Kevin Fogg.