Course Development Grants for UNC-Chapel Hill Faculty
The priority deadline for applications is February 16, 2018. Applications submitted after this date will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Carolina Asia Center awards course development grants up to $2,500 to selected UNC-Chapel Hill faculty who are interested in adding Asia-related content to existing courses or developing new courses with Asia-related content. Open to faculty in all schools and departments across campus, this grant enriches global education at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Any UNC-CH faculty of any rank who teaches at least two courses is eligible to apply.
To submit an application, send a 1-2 page proposal, your curriculum vitae, a proposed timeline and a budget to Mary Lagdameo, Associate Director of the Carolina Asia Center, at Lagdameo@email.unc.edu. The CAC evaluates proposals based on feasibility and measurable impact on Asia-related instruction at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Grant Usage Policy:
- Awards can be requested to support stipends, supplies and/or travel reimbursements (NOTE: Stipends are subject to taxes).
- Domestic travel does not require prior approval from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Funding of international travel is contingent upon the approval of the U.S. Department of Education. If the grant is used to pay for airfare, the traveler must comply with the Fly America Act, which requires traveling as far as possible on a U.S. carrier.
- To obtain an approval for an international trip, the applicant needs to submit a Travel Authorization request at least 40 days prior to the departure date to the U.S. Department of Education through the Carolina Asia Center. The traveler must not purchase the air ticket prior to the approval of the trip by the U.S. Department of Education. A final draft itinerary must be shared with the Associate Director of the Carolina Asia Center, who will submit a Travel Authorization request on behalf of the traveler along with the following details: 1) purpose of the trip 2) amount request and 3) what the Title VI funding will cover for the trip.
- The reimbursement for the grant implementation must be claimed by August 17, 2018, or an extension for the grant implementation must be requested from the Carolina Asia Center.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Faculty members are required to report on any increase in or improvement of Asia content in classes or publications as a result of the grant upon its completion.