Conference Travel Grants
The Carolina Asia Center accepts applications from UNC-Chapel Hill faculty for conference travel grants. Up to $1,500 will be provided to successful applicants to present a paper on an Asia-related research topic at a conference. The grant can be used to supplement the conference/research travel grant from the College or School where the faculty member has her/his appointment. Faculty in all schools and departments across campus are eligible to apply. This grant is supported with the Title VI grant from the Department of Education.
Any UNC-CH faculty of any rank who teaches at least two courses or has a permanent appointment (fixed or tenure-track) is eligible to apply.
All conference travel grants for the AY 17-18 have been awarded. Please check back next year for grant opportunities.
To submit an application, send a 1-2 page proposal, your curriculum vitae, a proposed timeline and a budget to Mary Lagdameo, Associate Director of the Carolina Asia Center, at Lagdameo@email.unc.edu.
Grant Usage Policy:
- Awards can be requested to travel reimbursements and conference fees.
- Domestic travel does not require prior approval from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Funding of international travel is contingent upon the approval of the U.S. Department of Education. If the grant is used to pay for airfare, the traveler must comply with the Fly America Act, which requires traveling as far as possible on a U.S. carrier.
- To obtain an approval for an international trip, the applicant needs to submit a Travel Authorization request at least 40 days prior to the departure date to the U.S. Department of Education through the Carolina Asia Center. The traveler must not purchase the air ticket prior to the approval of the trip by the U.S. Department of Education. A final draft itinerary must be shared with the Associate Director of the Carolina Asia Center, who will submit a Travel Authorization request on behalf of the traveler along with 1) the purpose of the trip 2) the amount requested and 3) what Title VI funding will cover for the trip.
- The reimbursement for the grant implementation must be claimed by the date specified, or an extension for the grant implementation must be requested from the Carolina Asia Center.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Faculty members are required to share the presentation/paper with the Carolina Asia Center upon completion of the conference.